Monday, September 25, 2006

MyMame Project Finally Begins


For a number of years (too many to count now) I've been trying to build a MAME cabinet. I've had the actual cabinet for 7 or 8 years I would gather (maybe more) and it's just been doing nothing. Well yesterday, Jeff and I finally got the cabinet into the garage to start working on it.

You can see that the cabinet is not in the greatest shape. It needs paint, it needs some TLC and the insides need to be completely reworked. Once we got out all the guts, we had to talk about the monitor. I have been saving this really nice 19" CRT monitor for my MAME project for a long time, but the reality is that it just isn't big enough ... so I decided to go with a TV that has nice output. I found what I was looking for in this Toshiba 20" TV. I compared it to other 20" TV's and you can't beat the quality and sharpness on this one.

So Jeff managed to prop up the screen enough to give it that authentic arcade angle, and he's working on making some sort of bracket to keep the screen securely in place. I need to pick up some marine paint and I was looking at side art decals today. We need to also build a shelf/bracket for my X-Arcade stick (which I've had laying around for years) ... it will finally be put to use!

So this is basically how the cabinet stands now. Jeff is working on a lock replacement, we need to figure out how to mount that screen and the joystick and I think we'll be ready for determining lights, artwork and getting the painting done!

No comments: