Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Old style gaming

There has been some recent buzz about bringing back "abandonware" ... you know, the software the has been abandoned by companies because it's a million years old (in computer years anyway...so like 10 in real years) so that people can buy it legitimately. Many "console" game companies have already been doing this, dipping back into their libraries for the "ultimate" collections. These are "OK" and I do buy them, although I've not been entirely pleased with all of them. The problem is that most of the titles you don't know or don't care about (and it's kind of hard to get addicted to Bionic Commando in 2006 if you've never played it before) and the titles that you MIGHT want to play could be from some obscure company you've never heard of.

I love The Underdogs because you can download your favs (at least the PC versions) and play what you want. They are great about respecting Copyright issues and most companies only complain about their IP if they are still making money off it somehow.

I must admit though, recently when I received a great donation of old Commodore equipment for The Personal Computer Museum there was nothing better than holding those oringal game boxes. I've said it before, but it's soooo true! Emulators are ok but nothing beats the real thing with the disks, joysticks, keyboards etc. in your hands. I guess I'm just fortunate enough to have the space and systems set up to do this with.

No comments: