Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dragon's Lair - Back into the Lair

DLHD
I recently had the privilege of interviewing David Foster from Digital Leisure about the Dragon's Lair series. Dragon's Lair, the hit arcade game from 1983 has lived on over 20 years of popularity and will probably continue to do so for another 20. I was thinking about what makes Dragon's Lair so popular and I think I've come back to "the experience". I don't think anyone would disagree with me in saying that Dragon's Lair is not about the gameplay ... after all, 4 directions and a sword button all timed events? That's not much of a formula for in-depth gameplay.

What's it's all about is the experience. The experience of Dragons' Lair is immersive and somewhat magical. That's why I keep playing it and enjoying it. I think more games should consider that.

The article is on Armchair Empire and you can find it here: http://www.armchairempire.com/Interviews/dragons-lair.htm

No comments: