Thursday, August 03, 2006

E3 Cancelled? Wow does that suck

So readers of my blog know that I went to E3 this year for the first time and was just stoked about it. Apparently, it's a good thing I made it this year because they are talking about cancelling E3 - or at the least, making some major changes. I thought removing the booth babes was as big a change as they were going to make but apparently that was just the tip of the iceberg.

So now, they are slightly changing the name "E3 Media" something or other... moving it to July and making it much much smaller.

OK I understand that the publishers are putting out all this money for little return. Or are they? How do they know? Do they think because the Internet gets information into the hands of the hungry so quickly that a trade event is no longer required? Have they forgotten one of the biggest reasons that I went was to meet the people behind the games? There wasn't much there in terms of games that I hadn't already seen or knew about so that wasn't the big deal for me. It was being in the presence of such gaming greatness that was the draw for me.

If they do make this smaller show a reality, maybe they can keep the Gamestop employees out - that should cut the attendees down by about 1/2 and leave more space for journalists and true game extremists such as myself.

Oh E3, such fond memories we will have. Hopefully the new version will be better but so far, I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: